Introduction to Initiating Devices
Continuing Education Units (CEU): 0.10
Expected Duration: 1 Hour
This self-paced online course explains initiating devices, which transmit a signal to the fire alarm panel indicating that the device has undergone a change of state. A change-of-state might be closing a sprinkler control valve, operating a manual fire alarm box, actuation of a fire detector, or operation of a fire suppression system.
Upon completion you should be able to:
- List and explain the devices used to initiate signals in a fire alarm system, including manual fire alarm boxes, smoke detectors, heat detectors, flame detectors, sprinkler waterflow detectors, switches indicating actuation of fire suppression systems, valve supervisory devices, pressure supervisory devices, and level supervisory devices
- List and define signal types, including fire alarm signal, alarm signal, trouble signal, supervisory signal, and supplementary signal.
- List and describe the different items that generate supervisory signals in a fire alarm system, including manual signal initiation, automatic signal initiation, trouble signal initiation, and supervisory signal initiation.
- Differentiate between sprinkler system pressure and vane-type waterflow switches
- List the supervisory signal requirements for fire pump installations
Who Will Benefit
Anyone whose job involves designing, reviewing, evaluating or installing fire protection systems, including: designers, installers, engineers, electrical contractors, technicians, project managers, fire marshals, and architects.
- A fire alarm system initiating device is a device that transmits a signal to the fire alarm control unit indicating that the device has undergone a change of state. A change of state might be closing a sprinkler control valve, operating a manual fire alarm box, actuation of a fire detector, or operation of a fire suppression system.
- Initiating devices usually operate automatically. The only manual initiating devices are manual fire alarm boxes.
- Initiating devices may transmit alarm signals or supervisory signals.
- Types of initiating devices include:
- Manual fire alarm boxes
- Smoke detectors
- Heat detectors
- Flame detectors
- Sprinkler waterflow detectors
- Switches indicating actuation of fire suppression systems
- Valve supervisory devices
- Pressure supervisory devices
- Level supervisory devices