Introduction to Automatic Sprinklers and Sprinkler Heads
Continuing Education Units (CEU): 0.10
Expected Duration: 1 Hour
This self-paced online course covers the major reasons for sprinkler system failure, improper design issues, and a short history of automatic sprinkler system development. It is important to understand the reasons that automatic sprinklers sometimes fail to control a fire. When these situations are recognized, action can be taken to correct the problem before a fire occurs.
Upon completion you should be able to:
- Outline the history of automatic sprinkler system development.
- Understand and prevent the main reasons for automatic sprinkler system failure, which are:
- System Impairments;
- Incomplete coverage;
- Improper system design.
Who Will Benefit
Anyone whose job involves designing, reviewing, evaluating or installing fire protection systems, including: designers, installers, engineers, electrical contractors, technicians, project managers, fire marshals, and architects.
- An anti-freeze system has a solution of water and anti-freeze in the piping exposed to freezing temperatures. This type of system can be an alternative to a small dry-pipe sprinkler system, although there are restrictions on the use of anti-freeze systems.
- The purpose of an exposure protection sprinkler system is to prevent fire from entering windows and other openings, and to prevent the ignition of any combustible materials on the outside of the building. The systems may be actuated automatically or manually.
- A limited area system is a partial sprinkler system installed in only specific areas of a building. For example, NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, and some building codes permit the installation of limited areas systems. NFPA 13 requires that any limited area sprinkler systems meet the requirements of the standard as far as they are applicable.
- A circulating closed-loop system uses sprinkler system piping to move heating or cooling water throughout a building. A closed loop system does not use any water from the sprinkler system, it simply uses the sprinkler piping as a method of circulating hot or cold water to heat exchangers in the building.